Landlord's guide to letting your property
We understand the local market and will arrange for one of our friendly and experienced lettings team to attend your property and provide you with a valuation of the rental amount potentially achievable and discuss the type of tenants looking in your area.
We will advise you on all aspects of renting out your home, along with up to date legal and safety legislation.
2. Instructing Marriotts to let your home
Marriotts are property professionals and have been renting and managing many properties in the Nottingham area since 1860. We have a prominent presence in the local area to give your home as much exposure as possible to attract a quality tenant.
We would like to let your property at the best possible price and in the shortest possible time to minimise any void periods for you and will visit to compile a detailed description of your property, including quality photography to show it off and produce property details for our internet advertising and printed property details.
We will arrange an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if you need a new one, or as they are valid for 10 years there may be a valid certificate for the property which we will download from the EPC Register.
All viewings will be accompanied by a member of our friendly and experienced lettings team to find you a tenant as quickly as possible, but it is also vitally important that it is the right tenant for the property.
3. Deciding on the service you require from us
Marriotts offer three services to Landlords – Tenant find only, Letting & Rent Collection and Letting & Full Management. When considering the service you wish us to provide for you, you should ask yourself some of the following?
- How much time do you have?
- Do you have the expertise to manage you own property?
- Do you have a network of reliable and trusted local contractors you can call should there be any remedial repairs required?
- Would you like the peace of mind that your property and tenants are being looked after, and the co-ordination of any legally required safety check is kept up to date?
- Do you live locally and prefer to carryout repairs yourself?
- Are you able to deal with the deposit and collect the rent yourself?
Marriotts manage in excess of 1000 residential and commercial properties, we have an excellent team of experienced and knowledgeable property managers to ensure your home is looked after.
4. Presenting your property – hints & tips
We all know that first impressions count. Making sure your property is presented as well as possible for our marketing photos and for when prospective tenants come to view can make all the difference in attracting the right tenants as quickly as possible.
The following in our experience can make all the difference:-
- Make sure the front of your property looks presentable
- Refresh paintwork where needed, prospective tenants will appreciate the smell and look of freshly painted walls and woodwork. Address any odd jobs that you have been meaning to get round to!
- Don’t allow mail to pile up inside the front door
- Ensure all light bulbs are working – well lit homes are more inviting
- De clutter - rooms will appear larger
- Warm houses in the winter are more inviting
- Pleasant aromas create a more welcoming feel
- Ensure the property is clean and consider a professional clean of the carpets
- Gardens should be in tidy seasonal order – they are a great feature of any property
5. Preparing for the commencement of a tenancy
- Do you have a mortgage? - You should gain consent to let the property from your mortgage lender.
- Leasehold property? - You should gain consent to let the property from the Freeholder.
- Insurance - Ensure you have set up a Landlords building insurance, and if you are taking out a rent guarantee and legal expenses policy that you have that in hand.
- Tax - All rental income from property in the UK is taxable, tax is due on the profit generated by the letting of your property so you must declare your rental income to HM Revenue & Customs using a self-assessment tax return.
- Furnished or Unfurnished? - We will advise you during the valuation appointment of the current market conditions and demand for properties in your area being furnished or unfurnished. If you are leaving your property furnished, check and ensure all items comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire)(Safety) Regulations 1988, and that sofas, chairs and mattresses are cleaned.
- Safety certificates - Marriotts can assist you in arranging the relevant safety certificates required to be in place prior to the tenant moving into your property. It is a good idea to start arranging these when you place the property on the market so they are completed in time and do not delay a potential tenant moving in.
- Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors - Ensure these are fitted in the property in line with current safety legislation.
- Cleaning - The property should be in a clean and tidy condition for the start of the tenancy. Consider employing the services of a professional cleaning company and have the carpets professionally cleaned too - then the tenants are expected to leave it in this condition when they vacate the property.
- Gardening - Give the garden a final tidy and cut, if the tenants move into the property with the garden in good tidy seasonal order, they are expected to return it in the same condition.
- Inventory - Marriotts will compile a professional inventory of the fixtures and fittings and schedule of condition of the property, along with photographs (dependant on the service level you choose). Due to The Housing Act legislation in respect of tenancy deposits an inventory is a vital document, without which you will not be able to make a claim against the tenants deposit should there be any dilapidations at the end of the tenancy. At the point the inventory is compiled, the property should be in the condition you will be handing it over to the tenant in, so the contents and cleanliness are accurately recorded.
- Keys - Two sets of keys will be required for the tenants and one set for us to hold in case of emergencies. Please ensure that any alarm code, gate fobs, gate keys, window keys etc…. are included where required. We also recommend you retain a full set of keys yourself.
- Redirect your mail - Maybe an obvious thing to do, but you will be surprised at how many are sent to you that you may have overlooked.
- User and instruction manuals - make sure they are available for the tenants, eg. cooker, boiler, washing machine and if you have any maintenance/service contracts, or any item is under guarantee please provide us with the details
Find out what our customers are saying
To Jane, Gary & the team, thank you for all you did to make our house move smooth, it was much appreciated.Richard & Anna.